This weekend I threw myself a plying party and turned the roughly 900 grams of singles I spun last month into about 2,000 yards of three-ply, honest-to-goodness yarn. I finished plying Saturday night but I was so excited that I couldn't sleep. I finally got up at 2:30 am Sunday, reviewed Maggie Casey's instructions in Start Spinning, and proceeded to soak the yarn in warm water and dishwashing detergent, then rinse it with vinegar, then rinse it again with clear water. I squeezed out the excess water with beach towels, "snapped" the damp skeins vigorously a few times, then hung them on the handle of a broken mop to dry. By this time it was 7:30 am and I decided to go back to bed. Later, my oldest son Alex was kind enough to hold the skeins near a window so I could snap this photo. (Notice Alex's handknitted socks--he decided to wear a matching pair this day.)
It took about 24 hours for the yarn to dry enough to wind into skeins--there are 17 of them of various sizes.
The next step is to wind it into balls and swatch to see exactly what I have. Hopefully, the yarn will "speak" to me as I swatch and I'll figure out what kind of sweater it wants to be. Most hopefully, there won't be too much variation in thickness and I'll be able to get a decent looking garment. I may not sleep tonight in anticipation!