Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Making Progress

I spent most of last week in the mountains with several of my knitting pals. We knitted, watched movies, shopped, and ate very well. I had high hopes of completing my handspun sweater while there, but I still have one sleeve left to knit. In order to spread any yarn variations evenly around the entire sweater, I knitted it from the top down without seams. I picked up stitches for the sleeve around the armhole and worked in rounds to the cuff. I tried a variety of other stitch patterns to set off the lower edge, but they all seemed to distract from the overall look. So, I've decided to simply work the non-curling moss stitch to the bind-off edges.  

I have 5 balls left, which should be enough to knit the other sleeve and the neckband. So far, I estimate that I've spent at least 30 hours already knitting this sweater. I think the spinning and plying took only about 25 hours. I still find it curious that this sweater took less time to spin than to knit. I'm now in the market for fleece to spin for another project. Alpaca might be nice...

 

1 comment:

JelliDonut said...

The color is lovely. I admire people who spin, but I don't have room for a wheel.