Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Two New Classes

Today I fly the friendly skies to Rochester, New York, where I have the good fortune to teach at Clara Parkes' Knitter's Review Knitting Retreat this weekend.
I've developed two new classes this year, both of which will debut at the retreat. It's fair to say that I'm a little nervous. But I've made handouts and have knitted swatches so at least I'll have something to show.
On Friday, I'll teach shadow knitting. This is a magical technique where you manipulate garter ridges in two colors to create patterns that seem to appear and disappear, depending on the angle at which the fabric is viewed. Very cool!
On Saturday, I'm scheduled to teach "Conquering Kitchener Stitch". In three hours I hope to make 30 people comfortable with Kitchener stitch, whether it's used for stockinette stitch, reverse stockinette stitch, garter stitch, or ribbing. And as a extra bonus, we'll master the invisible ribbed bind-off, which has its roots in Kitchener stitch. Want to place any bets on whether or not everyone in the class will leave feeling at peace with this most misunderstood grafting stitch?

3 comments:

Quinnspins said...

I'm a stone's throw from the retreat, and it was all sold out!!! I hope that you have a grand and wonderful time...

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

I hope you have a great time at the retreat! I will one day try out illusion knitting myself!

Paul & Carla said...

How fun! I keep re-discovering illusion knitting and promising myself I will someday do some of it. And as for Kitchener, there are times when it goes beautifully and times when it... doesn't. Oh well.