Thursday, August 9, 2012

Half-Stranded Socks -- Getting Started

I'm counting down on the last few pairs of socks from Sock Knitting Master Class.
This week I started Anna Zilboorg's Half-Stranded Socks--"a peculiar construction that enables a stranded color pattern to be worked on the instep alone." This keeps the foot of the sock thin enough to fit comfortably in a regular shoe. For fun, Anna reversed the pattern and background colors for the second sock to make a "fraternal" pair (no second sock syndrome).

Anna used Simply Socks Yarn Company's Simply Sock Yarn Solids (80% wool, 20% nylon; 175 yd/50) in cranberry and camo (1skein each).


I happen to have been given some Simply Sock Yarn Solids from the company for this pair of socks. I chose chocolate and merlot (two of my favorite flavors), which are a little more sedate than Anna's colors. So far, I'm fascinated with this construction. It begins with a narrow strip around the toes, then the stitches are picked up from this strip for the instep. The instep is worked back and forth in the color pattern.


I'm anxious to see how the sole is attached so I stayed up late last night knitting.

2 comments:

karen alho said...

"so I stayed up late last night knitting." There really are times when we don't really mind being on our own! Go for it!

bekswhoknits said...

I did that too.
I just wanted to get to the end of the corner (blanket)

Sleepy this morning.