Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pussy Willow Stockings -- Getting Started

I'm getting pretty excited as I approach the end of Sock Knitting Master Class. I am now to Cat Bordhi's Pussy Willow Stockings (page 160).
Following Cat's genius for placing gusset shaping wherever she likes, these toe-up socks are shaped with three increases every five rounds to form an openwork pattern that travels around the instep and front of the leg. Except for keeping track of the increases, these socks are a fairly mindless knit.
Cat worked hers with Fleece Artist Somoko at 8 stitches to the inch on two circular needles.
For my version, I'm using Huckleberry Knits Willow (80% Bluefaced Leicester, 20% nylon; 420 yd/4oz) in a beautiful handdyed blue called Spindrift. I'm getting gauge on size 2.5 mm double-point needles. As many of you already know, I much prefer working with double-pointed than two circular needles. (I'm sorry, Cat...I just can't get used to the needle ends flopping in my lap.) But I think Cat's most interesting design and construction are more important than the type of needles used.
Stitches emerge from a wide horizontal band to form what Cat calls a moccasin toe. I haven't worked this type of toe before, but it's easy and a nice alternative to the more common wedge toe.
So far, this promises to be one of the easiest pairs of socks in the book!

2 comments:

GeniaKnitz said...

Love that toe, AND that gorgeous yarn. Generally I don't do toe-up, but I may have to make an exception!

Michelle said...

That toe sure does look beautiful!!!!