The originals (pictured on page 108 of the book) were a little small for my feet so I added 6 sts and I made the leg and foot longer.
Here's what I changed:
- I used Solstice Midsommar Sock yarn (75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, 10% silk) in Scottish Moss. Yum!
- I used size 2 needles and worked in the magic-loop method (described on page 13) so that all of the front-of-leg/instep sts were on one half and all of the back-of-leg/heel/sole sts were on the other half. This made it easier for me to keep track of the pattern
- I added 6 sts to the circumference (1 st to each of the six k2 colums of sts, working them as k3 instead) to give a cast-on of 68 sts, to fit my wide size-9 feet.
- Set up pattern as follows, then continued the k3-columns as established:
- Rnds 1-7: *[K1, p1] 2 times, k3, p1, k1, p1, k3, [p1, k1] 3 times, p1, k3, p1, k1, p1, k3, [p1, k1] 2 times, k1; rep from *.
- Rnd 8: *[K1, p1] 2 times, small smock, p1, k1, p1, k3, p1, ssk, k1, k2tog, p1, k3, p1, k1, p1, small smock, [p1, k1] 2 times, k1; rep from *--64 sts.
- Rnd 9: *[K1, p1] 2 times, k3, p1, k1, p1, k3, p1, large smock, p1, k3, p1, k1, p1, k3, [p1, k1] 2 times, k1; rep from *--68 sts.
- Rnd 10: *K1, p1, k7, p1, k3, p1, k5, p1, k3, p1, k7, p1, k2; rep from *.
- Work heel flap on 33 sts.
- Work the first row of the heel turn as: Sl 1 pwise wyb, k17, ssk, k1, turn. Then follow the instructions as written to end up with 19 heel sts.
- Pick up an extra st at the boundary between the heel flap an instep for the gussets for 14 sts picked up each side and a total of 82 sts
- Decrease gussets to 68 sts.
- For toe, decrease every other rnd to 32 sts, then dec every rnd to 16 sts. Graft 8 instep sts to 8 sole sts.